Saturday, January 12, 2013

Roasted Brussels and Barley

I have been trying to eat more whole grains lately so when I found some pearl barley at a health store I decided to pick it up.  I wasn't really sure what to do with it though, except to put it in soup.  But then I came across this recipe for wheat berries with Brussels sprouts and I figured I could just use barley instead.  It was so hearty and healthy, a great post-Christmas Season meal.  There was a lot of flavour in it, and I really liked the texture of the pearl barley.  I am excited to try it in other recipes.  I think it would be good in a lot of things that call for rice, and perhaps some salads as well.  
I really liked the roasted Brussels sprouts in this recipe too.  I will definitely be cooking them this way in the future.  Seriously, everything tastes better when it's roasted with lemon!


Roasted Brussels and Barley

1 cup Pearl Barley
3 cups Vegetable Broth
1 lb. Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 Onion, diced
1+1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup Walnut Pieces
1 Lemon
Salt and Pepper

Cook the barley in the 3 cups of vegetable broth according to package directions. 
Preheat oven to 425F.  Toss the Brussels, onion, and 1 tbsp of oil together and place on a baking sheet.  Roast for about 15 minutes, or until browned, stirring half way through.  Remove from oven and mix in the walnut pieces.
Zest the lemon.  Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to the zest, as well as the remaining oil and salt and pepper.  Mix well.  Place the Brussels sprouts and cooked barley in a large bowl and pour the lemon dressing over it.  Toss together and serve.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!