Sunday, January 06, 2013

Balsamic Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Squash

I love sweet potatoes and squash.  They are two of my favourite vegetables.  Both are so flavourful, and I love the bright colours they add to my plate.  But I find I always make them the same way, by baking them.  So when I came across a recipe for roasted sweet potatoes in a balsamic glaze I wanted to try it out.  Now I don't usually eat both of these vegetables together, but since I had half of a leftover squash in my fridge I figured I would add it to the recipe.  It turned out really well, and I liked how it brought the sweetness level down a bit.  I still usually just bake my squash, because peeling them really sucks, but when I want something a little more I make this recipe. 


Balsamic Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Squash

1/2 a Butternut Squash (or any other kind you want to use)
2 large Swet Potatoes
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Butter
1 tsp Salt

Peel and cube the squash and sweet potatoes and place them in a large roasting pan.  Preheat the oven to 400F. 
In a small saucepan over medium heat bring the Balsamic vinegar and the brown sugar to a boil.  Reduce the mixture until it begins to thicken.  Add the butter and salt and stir until smooth.  
Pour the glaze over the vegetables in the pan and mix well.  Place in the oven and roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are cooked and beginning to brown along edges (about 40 minutes).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!