Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Curried Tofu and Veggie Soup

I am really excited about this soup.  It is insanely good, and one of those recipes you could make with just about anything.  I would love to try it with fish or shrimp, and I think my hubby would love it with chicken.  You can add any vegetables you fancy to it.  I put in broccoli, carrots, red pepper, bean sprouts, and baby corn but any of those could be switched to something you prefer.  I almost added some shitake mushrooms to it, but then I was like 'what was I thinking? I hate mushrooms!'.  It's just that I had some in my fridge from when my cousin was here making perogies with me and I thought I should use them.  
The soup had a really nice level of spice to it, as in it got my nose running a bit.  If you would prefer something milder just add less curry paste.  I loved the spice on the rainy day we were having though, it warmed me up from the inside:)  


Spicy Tofu and Vegetable Soup

1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1-2 tbsp red curry paste
900 ml vegetable broth
398ml can of coconut milk
1 tbsp sugar
350g pkg extra firm tofu
1 cup beansprouts
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
1 can baby corn, cut into 1" pieces

Rinse the tofu under cold water and then cut into thin slices.  Place each slice on cutting board covered with paper towel.  Place more paper towel on top and then top with something heavy so that the excess moisture will be squeezed out.  Let sit for about 15 minutes and then cut each slice into thin strips.
In a large pot heat the oil over med-high heat.  Add the onion, ginger, and curry paste and cook for about 5 minutes.  Add the sugar, broth and coconut milk; mixing to incorporate the curry paste.  Bring to a boil and then mix in the vegetables and tofu.  Let cook for about 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. MMmmmm sounds DELICIOUS!

    PS- Love your bowls ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are pretty fine...and came from a fine lady:)

      Delete
  2. Yum! I made a hot and sour soup recently but I've never tried a curry version! Sorry I couldn't take the mushrooms home with me - there was no room in my bag! haha

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!