Monday, November 12, 2012

Banana Bread

Banana bread is one of those things that has to be homemade.  It's just so much better, and you can taste that it's made with real bananas.  The secret to this banana bread is to let it sit for 6 hours before slicing into it.  It's so hard to wait that long, but it's worth it.  It makes the banana bread so moist and keeps it nice and dense.  You also have to make sure you use overripe bananas with it.  I have made it with yellow bananas, and it definitely wasn't as moist.  The more black spots the better!  I prefer to make my banana bread with chocolate chips instead of walnuts, but since the hubby doesn't like chocolate I made this one with the nuts.  This is the recipe from my family's cooking bible "Five Roses Cookbook".


Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups All-Purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or chocolate chips!)
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3-4 bananas)

Preheat oven to 350F.  
Stir dry ingredients and nuts together in a large bowl.  In a seperate bowl mix the remaining ingredients together.  Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and then pour in the liquid.  Stir together just until flour is moistened.  Pour into a greased loaf plan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.  Let sit for 6 hours or overnight before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. I use 1/3 cup honey instead of sugar, and add 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil or coconut oil (my fav). Turns out perfect, stays moist and the top softens after sitting and is almost like icing. Also works doubling the recipe and using a 9x13 cake pan and turning it into banana chocolate chip cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always used my Five Roses recipes! But, if you are doubling the liquid (adding oil) would you not need to increase the flour to 2 cups?
    For the first time I am substituting honey for the corn syrop but making no other changes. (I used to use LYLES corn syrop (best tasting corn syrop ever!) and from England but is no longer available)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!