Monday, January 07, 2013

Curried Tomato Sauce

This sauce is amazing!  I love the flavours of it, and I think it would be great on so many things.  I poured it over fish and rice, but it would be great over chicken, shrimp, beef, or some vegetables like cauliflower.  Actually, now that I think of it, it would be really good on cauliflower...good thing I have some leftover sauce so I can try that tonight!  The original recipe called for cilantro, but since my hubby hates cilantro I used parsley instead which worked well.  I think cilantro sometimes overpowers the other flavours of a dish, and by using parsley you can really taste the garam masala and other spices better. 
This sauce was very thick, which was great for pouring it over the fish, but I think if I was using it to cook chicken pieces in I would thin it down a bit.   Adding a bit of vegetable stock would work, until it more resembled the consistency of a Madras sauce.  
I am super happy that I found this recipe because it's delicious can be used in so many dishes.  I hope you love it as much as I do!


Curried Tomato Sauce

1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp turmeric
pepper
1 tbsp garam masala
1/4 cup chopped parsley

In a large pan over medium heat toast the cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant (about 2 minutes).  Use a pestle and mortar or coffee grinder to grind them and set aside.  In same pan melt the coconut oil and saute the diced onion until tender.  Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno peppers, sauteing for an additional minute.
Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, turmeric, pepper, and the ground seeds to the pan.  Mix well and let simmer for about 15 minutes.  
Stir in the garam masala and parsley and remove from heat.  
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!