Saturday, January 05, 2013

Gourmet Grilled Cheese

There's an awesome food truck in Hamilton called Gorilla Cheese and they were the inspiration for this sandwich.  They have a grilled cheese called The Lumberjack which consists of cheddar, bacon, apple, and maple syrup.  It's pretty damn good.  I have been wanting to make my own version for quite a while, especially once I bought some bacon marmalade and knew how great it would be in this sandwich.  I used a smoked Gouda cheese which paired really well with the caramelized onions found in the bacon marmalade, and multi-grain bread to hold it all together.  It was delicious.  Although I wish I would have let my cheese get a little more melty...but I was hungry and it was taking too long!


Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese

2 slices multi-grain bread
8 slices Smoked Gouda cheese
1/4 to 1/2 an apple, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp bacon marmalade
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp butter

Preheat frying pan over medium heat.  Spread both slices of bread with butter.  On the non-buttered side of one slice place 4 pieces of Gouda.  Cover the Gouda with the sliced apple and then drizzle the maple syrup over top.  Place the remaining Gouda on the maple apples.  On the 2nd piece of bread spread the bacon marmalade on the non-buttered side and place marmalade side down on the cheese.  The buttered sides need to be on the outside of the sandwich.  Now grill the sandwich until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted.  Enjoy it while it's hot!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!