Monday, January 21, 2013

Nut and Seed Energy Bars

In my Christmas Stocking this year I found a delicious organic nut and seed bar that I absolutely loved because it had no granola in it.  It was just nuts, seeds, and puffed brown rice...so delicious.  I wanted to buy more but the only place I could find them was at a Health Food Store where they were $3 each, which I really didn't want to pay.  (Maybe Santa's Elves get a good discount??)  So I decided I would try to find a recipe that would make something similar. However every recipe I found had oatmeal in it, so I had to adapt one by using shredded coconut instead.  I didn't find puffed brown rice at any stores for use in this recipe, but if I ever do find some I will definitely make these again using it.  I would also like to try it with different nuts, like Brazil nuts or Filberts.  Some of the sesame seeds could also be replaced with Chia or Hemp seeds, or even some coarsely ground flax seeds.  The sky is the limit!:)


Healthy Nut and Seed Bars

1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp honey

In a large frying pan toast the sesame seeds over medium heat, just until they become aromatic and begin to brown.  Remove from heat.  In a saucepan melt the sugar and honey together and bring to a boil.  Mix the seeds and nut into the sugar mixture and coat well.  Pour out onto a piece of parchment paper and cover with another piece.  Use your hands to flatten into a large rectangle.  Let cool slightly before cutting into bar shapes.  Cool completely before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!