Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Potato and Cauliflower Mash with Leeks

I was giddy with excitement and had to bite my tongue the whole time my hubby was eating this because I couldn't wait to blurt out "you're eating cauliflower!! muahahahaha!".  I had just told him it was mashed potatoes with leeks and spinach, which was bad enough in his opinion.  But he really liked it, despite my maniacal laughter, and even said he would eat it again!  
I loved the addition of the cauliflower to the potatoes, it made them more light and fluffy, plus made it that much healthier!  It was also nice having so many vegetables in one dish, it eliminated the need of having another side dish for my salmon.  I look forward to making this dish again as it was a really great accompaniment to the meal.  


Potato and Cauliflower Mash with Leeks

3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups cauliflower florets
2 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 leek
4 cups chopped spinach
salt and pepper

In a large pot of boiling water cook the potatoes for 5 minutes.  Add the cauliflower and continue to cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Cut the root and and the tough green parts off of the leek.  Run water through the leek to rinse out any grit.   Slice the leek lengthwise in half and then cut into thin slices.  Heat a large pan over medium heat.  Add the oil, garlic, and leek and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.  Stir in the spinach along with 2 tbsp of water, cook until spinach is wilted.
Drain the potatoes and cauliflower and mash well.  Mix in the spinach and leek mixture and season with salt and pepper.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!