Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lemon Coconut Pie

I recently found this awesome enamel pie plate at Value Village for $3 and knew I had to have it.  It's so pretty!  The only problem is that unless it's a pot pie, I never make pies.  The reason being that I suck at making pie crust.  I don't know why, I follow directions and tips, but my pie crusts never turn out.  So I decided to make a crust out of crushed Lady Fingers instead.  Way easier, and it tastes great too!  
I love everything lemony, and this pie is no exception.  I also like that it's different from lemon meringue...because you can't have too many types of lemon pies:)



Lemon Coconut Pie

1 1/4 cups crushed Lady Finger Biscuits
1/4 cup + 3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
zest and juice from one lemon
2 eggs
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix the crushed Lady Fingers with 1/4 cup of sugar, the butter, and the lemon zest.  Press the mixture evenly into the bottom and sides of a pie pan.  Bake for 8 minutes.
Beat the eggs and remaining sugar together until well blended.  Add the flour, lemon juice, baking powder, and salt and mix well.  Pour into the cooked pie crust and then cover with the coconut.  Bake for 25 minutes, or until browned.  Chill in the fridge for a few hours before cutting.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!