Monday, February 04, 2013

Citrus Compote Breakfast Bowl

I have always been a breakfast eater - after all it is the most important meal of the day- but I find I always end up eating the same thing.  Cereal, yogurt, maybe a banana if I'm feeling extra healthy. Just something quick that will get me through the morning.  There have been many times that I have bought grapefruit in the hopes that I will eat it at breakfast, but then I find I don't have time in the morning to eat it.  But with this recipe I can have a quick, healthy breakfast that includes grapefruit and so much more.  The compote stays good in the refrigerator for 3 days so you can make it on a Sunday night and enjoy this flavourful breakfast in the morning with no fuss.  Best of all, it has all four food groups in it, and lots of protein when you use Greek yogurt.


Citrus Compote Breakfast Bowl for Four

2 pink grapefruit
2 oranges
3 clementines
1/2 tsp orange zest
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 cardamom pod, lightly crushed
1" piece of cinnamon stick
1" piece of ginger, cut into strips

2 cups plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Pecans
1 cup Granola 

Supreme the grapefruit, oranges, and clementines, reserving at least a 1/2 cup of juice.  
In a small pan mix 1/2 cup of citrus juice with the zest, honey, cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Strain the syrup and pour over the segmented pieces of fruit.  Refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavours mingle.
Divide the yogurt between 4 bowls, topping with the compote, pecans, and granola.  Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!