Sunday, July 15, 2012

Spaghetti Squash with Clam Sauce

This is another one of my childhood favourites.  I loved it when my mom would make this for dinner, and when she had her restaurant it was a popular menu item.  It's flavourful, healthy, and just simply delicious.  I don't make it very often, but every now and then a spaghetti squash catches my eye at the grocery store and I just crave this dish.  And my hubby doesn't eat it (he doesn't like spaghetti or squash, so the thought of a spaghetti squash doesn't whet his appetite) which means I can have it all to myself:)  And I ate it all in 2 days!  Unfortunately when I made it this time I had forgotten to buy fresh parsley, so it is lacking in the colour department.  Dried parsley just isn't the same.

Since there aren't many carbs in this "pasta" I figured I could double up on the garlic bread:)

Spaghetti Squash with Clams

1 whole spaghetti squash
2 tbsp butter
1 carrot, finely diced
2 small onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 can of baby clams
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Pepper, to taste


Preheat oven to 375F.  Pierce spaghetti squash all over with a fork.  Bake (whole) in the oven for about 1 hour (or until cooked), turning over half way through.  Let cool slightly, then cut in half and scoop out seeds.  Use a fork to take out the cooked squash, it will turn into 'spaghetti' strands as you scoop it. 
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pan over med-high heat.  Add carrots and onion, stir fry until partly cooked then add the garlic.  Cook for about 1 minute more before adding broth. Simmer until carrots are fully cooked.  Add in the parsley, squash, and clams.  Heat through and then serve with Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!