Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Jalapeno Cheese Wontons

Sometimes I order Chinese food simply because I am craving cheese wontons.  They are so delicious.  I love the crunchy outside and that wonderful creamy centre.  Mmmm.  But every time I have had them I've always thought it would be so easy (and cheaper!) to make them on my own.  Then I could eat as many as I wanted!!  (I just ate 8)  And I finally did it, but I wanted a bit more spice in mine, so I added jalapenos.  Because cream cheese and jalapenos just go together.  These were really easy to make, and you only need a few ingredients.  And they were definitely just as good as the restaurant ones! 


Jalapeno Cheese Wontons

1/2 cup cream cheese
1 jalapeno pepper
1 green onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Wonton wrappers (12-15)
Chinese red sauce for dipping, if desired
Vegetable oil for deep-frying

Heat oil in a pot or deep-fryer to 350 degrees.  Finely dice the jalapeno and mince the onion then add to the cream cheese along with the garlic powder.  Add a few jalapeno seeds for extra heat if desired.  Mix well.  Drop a teaspoonful into the centre of each wonton wrapper.  Wet the outside edge of the wonton wrappers with water and then pinch the four corners together in the middle, closing in the sides as well.  Make sure there is a good seal.  Cook a few of the wontons at a time in the oil until they turn brown and crispy.  Let dry on a paper towel.  Serve with Chinese red sauce to dip.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!