Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pasta with Barbecue Roasted Vegetables

This is a very flavourful pasta dish that takes about 5 minutes to prepare and only 10 minutes to cook.  And it really shows off the delicious summer vegetables that are now in season.  And you can pretty much use any vegetables you want to make this.  I used yellow zucchini, broccoli, and red and orange peppers, but portabello mushrooms, eggplant, cauliflower, onions, and many other vegetables would be great in this dish.  Just pick ones that will cook at about the same length of time.  Since I used Spaghettini I cut my peppers into long, thin strips; but if you were to use rigatoni or some other short pasta, it would be good to cut the vegetables into chunks instead.  By the way, I really wanted to make this with Capelletti, but of course I ended up being out of it.  I have nine kinds of pasta in my cupboard, and the kind I want never happens to be there.  So I settled on Spaghettini.  My hubby thinks I'm ridiculous for being disappointed with the thickness of my pasta, but it makes a difference to the dish, I swear!  I made my vegetables on the barbecue so I wouldn't have a hot oven on in my house, but if you want you can just roast the veggies in the oven. 


Roasted Vegetable Pasta
(2 servings)

2 cups of mixed chopped fresh vegetables (broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, cauliflower, etc.)
2 tbsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp of chili pepper flakes (if desired)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
200 grams of any pasta (enough for 2 people)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and preheat the barbecue to medium.  While water and barbecue are heating chop up the vegetables and mix with the 2 tablespoons of oil, garlic, and chili pepper flakes.  Place in a barbecue-safe dish and cover with tinfoil. 
Add pasta to boiling water and cook for the recommended time.  Place the vegetables on the barbecue and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring half-way through.  Vegetables should be cooked, but not soggy.  Add about 2 tablespoons of the pasta water to the vegetables to make it a little saucier and to get the additional flavours from the pan.  Drain the pasta and stir in the additional olive oil.  Separate pasta between 2 plates and then top each plate with half of the roasted vegetables.  Generously top each serving with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!