Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Club Sandwich with a Citrus Twist

I love Club Sandwiches, especially when served with some greasy fries from a diner, but when I make them at home I like to do something a little different.  It still has the traditional taste of a Club (bacon!) as well as a tasty twist.  That twist being the addition of oranges, avocado, sprouts, and pumpkin seeds.  I also use a hearty 12 grain bread that I don't toast because I find this sandwich easier to eat without the crunchiness of toast.  But I still use lots of mayo, chicken, and, as previously mentioned, bacon!  It may seem like an odd mix of ingredients, but really, everything goes together so well.  Every bite is full of flavour.  And everything is better with avocado on it:)  It's a nice change from the usual Club Sandwich and it's healthier too.
I made home made sweet potato fries to go with my sandwich, which didn't quite turn out.  You may notice from the picture that there's a bit too much cornstarch on them, which led to them not getting very crispy.  I got the recipe from this blog, and I think they definitely would have turned out if I had dried them off before putting them in the cornstarch.  They still tasted great though, and if you are looking for a sweet potato fry recipe it's a good one to try.

It's hard to take an attractive picture of a sandwich...


Club Sandwich with a Citrus Twist
 ~ 2 Sandwiches~
6 slices Multi-Grain bread
6 slices cooked bacon
1 cooked chicken breast, sliced
1 avocado, sliced ( or mashed)
1 orange, peeled and sliced
Lettuce
Alfalfa Sprouts
2 tbsp hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
Mayonnaise

Spread 2 slices of bread with mayo.  Cover each slice with lettuce, a layer of chicken, a layer of oranges, and 1 tbsp each of pepitas.  Spread 2 more slices of bread with mayonnaise and place mayo side down on top of the pepitas.  Cover the top part of the slices of bread with avocado.  Layer on 3 pieces of bacon for each sandwich and a handful of alfalfa sprouts.  Spread mayo on the last 2 slices of bread and lace mayo side down on top of the sprouts.  Slice in half and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!