Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spicy Salmon Steaks

Over the weekend I bought some salmon steaks, then got home and realized I had no idea what to do with them.  Usually I would bake them with some lemon and dill, but I wanted something different.  Plus, I had neither lemon nor dill at home.  I was thinking of doing a teriyaki sauce, or something else 'Asian-inspired', so I looked online for recipes.  After looking at no less than a thousand recipes (at least that's what it felt like!), I finally decided to make something spicy.  I never would have thought of putting salmon and spice together, unless it was a Cajun dish, but this recipes turned out great.  And my hubby loved it too, even with the balsamic vinegar in it that he can't stand the smell of:)  It was super fast to make, and paired with a wild-rice pilaf and some fresh vegetables, it was a wonderful meal.  (I really wish I had made asparagus instead of yellow beans though!) I was inspired by a recipe on cooks.com, which now I can't find, and this is what I did:

Spicy Salmon:

2 salmon steaks
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp chili sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of fresh ground black pepper

Place oven rack at second to highest position in oven and preheat broiler.  Place salmon on parchment lined baking pan.  Mix all ingredients together and use half of the mixture to coat both salmon steaks. 
Broil for 5-6 minutes.  Remove from oven, turn steaks over, and coat other sides with the remaining mixture.  Broil for another 5-6 minutes, or until salmon flakes easily.  Enjoy!

(These would also be good barbecued, and the sauce would be a nice chicken marinade as well.)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!