Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Roasted Asparagus

Springtime always makes me excited for the fresh fruits and vegetables I will soon be able to eat.  Asparagus is one of the first spring veggies to arrive, and it's also one of my favourites.  I used to always steam my asparagus spears, until I tried roasting them.  I will never steam them again!  They taste so much better roasted; they don't get mushy at all, and they still have a vibrant green colour to them.  I like to sprinkle them with salt and pepper for a little bit of extra flavour.  And sometimes I throw a few lemon slices in with them, because everything tastes great with lemon:)  My brother, who thought he didn't like asparagus, tried them this way and actually went back for a second serving.  He said they were so good, not at all what he remembered asparagus tasting like.  They are also great in this creamy pasta recipe.  So try them, you won't be disappointed!

Roasted Asparagus

1 pound asparagus spears (or whatever you have on hand)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
Salt 
Pepper 
Lemon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Trim the bottom ends off of the asparagus spears.  Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, turning them a bit so that they have a thin coating of oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place a few lemon slices in and around the spears, if using.  Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!