Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Quinoa Veggie Burgers with Homemade Tzaziki Sauce

I've been feeling a little guilty about all the creamy pastas and fish and chips I have been eating lately, so I thought I would make some healthier fare this week.  I saw a recipe in Chatelaine Magazine for quinoa burgers and decided to try them out.  The recipe had mushrooms in it, which I just don't like, so I had to change the recipe a bit, but they still turned out amazing.  I served them with yogurt tzaziki sauce and a fresh salad of  lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes with some greek-style potatoes on the side.  Everything was so good, and the burgers have a lot of taste to them.  I'm not sure how well they would hold up on a bun, but with a salad they were great.  The tzaziki I made is a sauce I've been making for quite a few years, but I made it healthier by making it with yogurt instead of the sour cream and cream cheese I usually use.  The tzaziki is great as a dip with pita bread and vegetables as well, so it doesn't hurt to double the batch.  If you are not a huge fan of garlic you may want to decrease the amount to one clove as this is a pretty garlicky sauce.


Quinoa Veggie Burgers

2 cups cooked quinoa
1 tbsp + 1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 zucchinis, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
1/2 spanish onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp instant tapioca
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in large frying pan over medium heat.  Add the vegetables and garlic and cook until soft.  In a large bowl mix the vegetables, quinoa, and remaining ingredients.  Mix well.  Divide mixture into 6 equal amounts and form into patties using hands.  Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and cook patties until browned on each side, about 4 minutes per side.  Serve topped with tzaziki sauce:


Tzaziki Sauce

1 cup Balkan or Greek Style plain yogurt
1 cucumber
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice

Slice cucumber lengthwise and remove seeds.  Grate cucumber and put in a fine mesh strainer to squeeze out the liquid.  Add to yogurt along with remaining ingredients.  Mix well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!