Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lemony Fish Pie

I love finding new ways to cook fish, especially recipes that are easy to re-heat so I can take them in my lunch.  This fish dish was easy to make and really tasty.  I used peas and carrots in it, since I had them on hand, but you can use whatever vegetables you like.  I think this would be a great meal to make for fussy kids who may not like fish, because with all the lemon in it you can't really taste the fish.  And there's mashed potatoes on top, what kid doesn't like mashed potatoes?:)  
When I made this I made it into 4 small pies, to make it easy to bring in my lunch, and because I love individual servings, like these Vegetable Pot Pies.  But if you want one big pie just use a deep-dish pie plate.  


Lemony Fish Pie
(Adapted from Chatelaine Magazine)

2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 pound white fish fillets, such as tilapia
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil (I used coconut oil, it left a bit of coconut taste in the dish that went well with the lemon)
2 cups vegetables, cooked 'al dente' (I added a bit more)
3/4 cup whipping cream, divided
1 tbsp dried dill
Zest and juice from 1 lemon

Boil potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes.  Cut fish into bite-sized pieces and toss with flour and salt.  Preheat oil in a large saucepan over med-high.  Add fish and cook for 2 minutes, add 1/2 cup of cream, vegetables, and dill.  Cook until thickened, about 2 more minutes.  Stir in lemon juice and zest.  Transfer to baking dish.
Mash the drained potatoes with 1/4 cup of cream.  Spread over the vegetables and fish.  Broil until golden.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!