Thursday, March 29, 2012

Triple Lemon Bread

I am a big fan of lemon desserts.  Actually I prefer lemon to (gasp!) chocolate.  Lemon pie is my favourite pie, and that's what I get instead of cake on my birthday...unless my mom makes me a cheesecake, cheesecake will always win The Battle of Desserts.  Mmm, I could really go for some lemon cheesecake with chocolate ganache and fresh raspberries on top.  Why am I thinking of this?  Just torturing myself while I'm stuck at work.  Anyway, back to the lemon bread.  This is a new recipe I tried, from Kraft's "What's Cooking?" Magazine.  It was really delicious, moist, and lemony!  And so easy to make, everything mixes up in one bowl.  It takes about 4 lemons to come up with 1/4 cup of zest, but only 1 to get the juice, so you end up with a few leftover, zested lemons.  I sliced them up and put them in a jug with water and a bit of sugar so I had fresh lemonade to drink.  Yum, yum!


Triple Lemon Bread 
(Makes two loaves)

1 cup boiling water
1 pkg. lemon jelly powder
1 pkg. lemon cake mix
3/4 cup oil (I used vegetable)
1/4 cup lemon zest
4 eggs
Topping:
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice


Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly butter 2 loaf pans.  Pour boiling water over jelly powder in large bowl, stir until completely dissolved. Add rest of ingredients (except for sugar and juice) stir to moisten, and then beat with mixer until well-blended.  
Pour into pans and bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.  Pierce loaves with a fork all over, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together, and then pour over top of loaves.  Cool the bread for 30 minutes before removing from the pans, then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.

Lemonade:
Slice 2 lemons and put in a pitcher.  Juice one lemon and add to pitcher.  Add 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 cup of boiling water.  Stir and add 3 cups cold water.  Refrigerate for a few hours, the longer the better.  Taste before completely filling up a glass, you may want to add more sugar and/or water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!