Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Surprise Burgers (Lentil Burgers)

This is a recipe that my mom has been making since I was a kid, and I love them now just as much as I did back then!  These were definitely one of my favourite meals as a kid, maybe because the word 'surprise' was in the title, but I think mostly because of the delicious taste.  Even now when I make them I'm always surprised (hahaha, get it?) by how great they taste.  I'm not actually sure why they are called Surprise Burgers...maybe it's supposed to be like "Surprise! They aren't really burgers!"  But just by looking at them you can tell they aren't made with beef.  They are made with lentils!  And maybe it's just me, but I think they taste better than beef:) 
By the way, these aren't burgers in the sense that you would eat them on a bun with some ketchup and mayo. They are better served with some vegetables on the side, or a nice salad. And they are very filling!


Surprise Burgers

- 3/4 cup lentils (I usually use green)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrots (about 2 carrot)
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt

Rinse lentils.  Put in pot with water and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 15 minutes.  Add onions and carrots and cook for 15 minutes more -lentils should be soft.  Remove from heat and let cook slightly.  Add remaining ingredients.  Mix well and then shape into patties (about 6-7).  Fry in butter over med-low heat.  After flipping the first time top with slices of cheddar cheese, continue frying until cheese is melted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!