Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Carrot Lentil Soup

Yes, another soup recipe.  I can't help it, I could eat soup every day!  Actually, I pretty much do that already.  Right now I'm excitedly waiting for my friend to give me some fish soup that is to die for, and if she would just give me the recipe I would be so happy.  But she won't, so I can only enjoy it's delicious taste around Christmas and Easter, the only times her mom makes it.  Mmm, I can't wait to eat it tomorrow!
But anyway, I'm supposed to be writing about another great soup...this carrot lentil soup that I made the other night.  It's really good, and makes me feel super healthy eating it:)  I actually got it out of Chatelaine magazine's Superfoods mini cookbook. I really like the flavours of the soup, but I do think they could be stronger.  I think the next time I make it I will add more paprika and coriander, probably a teaspoon each instead of 1/2 a teaspoon.  I also made the soup with a whole onion, because, well, I like onion.  I used chicken broth to make it, but if you want it to be vegetarian, just use vegetable broth.

Here's the original recipe:

Carrot Lentil Soup

- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 chopped cooking onion
- 3 peeled and diced carrots
- 1 diced red pepper
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sliced green onion
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper

In a large pot over high heat bring lentils and broth to a boil.  Skim off froth.  Stir in cooking onion, carrots, red pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, and the bay leaf.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until carrots are tender- about 25 minutes.  Stir in green onion, cilantro, lemon juice and pepper.  Remove bay leaf.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!