Monday, January 16, 2012

Fresh Salsa- Pico de Gallo

Fresh salsa tastes like summer to me.  So when better to have it than in the middle of winter?  This is one of those recipes that's a little different every time I make it.  I always just "wing it" and add whatever amounts I have of the ingredients.  I love cilantro, so I always put in a lot, but if you're like my hubby and not too fond of it then add less, or omit it completely.  And if you want more spice, add more jalapeno, or just add the seeds.  And speaking of jalapenos, be careful when you're cutting them.  Use gloves if you want, or just do your best to only touch the outer skins.  The first time I chopped an jalapeno I used my thumbnail to scrape the seeds out of it.  Not a good idea.  My thumb started to burn and then the pain somehow transferred to all of my fingers, and I spent the next few hours with my hands soaking in milk because it's the only thing that would make the pain go away.  Now I'm super careful!  I cut the seeds out while holding onto the outside of the jalapeno, and then place the pieces inside down on the cutting board while I dice them.  And then wash my hands before I go and rub my eyes or something!  
This fresh salsa is great with tortilla chips or anything else you would use salsa for.  When I was in Chile this would be served with bread as an appetizer.  It's delicious!


Fresh Salsa (makes about 1 cup)

- 3 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
- Handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar

Simply mix all of the ingredients together and store in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.  You can use other tomatoes, I just find the Roma tomatoes work better because they are more firm and have less pulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!