Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Spicy Red Lentil and Havarti Soup

I made this soup the other night after seeing the recipe in an ad for Canadian Dairy.  It's so filling, and healthy, especially with the barely there lentils.  I did find it a little too thick though, but I think that's because I melted the cheese into it, instead of just serving it with a few cubes of cheese on top.  The next time I make it I will add more broth and less milk.  I also added about a teaspoon of chili flakes to this recipe, because the jalapenos in the Havarti didn't make it spicy enough.  And I added chopped cilantro to the soup, because I love cilantro and always add extra when a recipe calls for it.  But ya, besides all that...great recipe!  


Spicy Red Lentil and Havarti Soup

1 1/2 tbsp butter
2 tsp curry powder
1 onion, diced
2 cups diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced potatoes
3/4 cup dried red or orange lentils, rinsed
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth *
3 cups milk*
5 oz jalapeno Havarti cheese, cubed
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
* I would use 2 cups broth and 2 cups milk instead
In a large pot melt butter over med-high.  Add curry and vegetables and saute until onions are soft.  Add lentils, broth, and milk.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes.  Puree soup until smooth.  Add salt and pepper if desired.  Serve garnished with cilantro and Havarti cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!