Monday, November 28, 2011

Mango and Sweet Potato Coconut Curry

A few years ago I was working at a daycare with a child who had quite a few allergies, so his mom used to bring in his own lunch.  Quite frequently she would bring in a delicious-looking curry rice dish, which was the inspiration to this recipe.  I suppose I could have asked her what she put in it, but I just guessed and made  it up.  I love this dish because it's easy, filling, versatile, and best of all, delicious.  When I made it for my mom-in-law she said it was the best lunch she has ever had.  I have made this dish a variety of ways, adding  and omitting some ingredients.  I didn't put chickpeas in it at first, but to make it more filling I have started adding them.  I also sometimes add pineapple or raisins, and sometimes omit the pepper.  It just depends on what I have on hand and what I feel like eating.  I'm going to write the 'basic' recipe here.


Mango and Sweet Potato Coconut Curry

2 cups cooked rice (I prefer brown)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 mango, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper (or orange, or yellow...) finely chopped
1 540ml can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 400ml can coconut milk
1 tbsp red curry paste (more or less, depending on how spicy you want it)

Over medium-high heat saute the sweet potatoes in a large pan with a tablespoon of cooking oil.  When they are about half-way done add in the red pepper.  Cook for another few minutes and then push the vegetables to the sides of the pan so that there is a space in the middle.  Put the curry paste in that spot and add a little of the coconut milk, mix until it's creamy, then stir into vegetables.  Add the mango, stir.  Add the rest of the coconut milk and the chickpeas.  Bring to a simmer and then add the rice.  Cook over low heat until the sweet potatoes are tender.  Serve and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!