Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sausage Jambalaya

Recently my hubby confessed to me that since I started working in the evenings as well as during the day that he sometimes just eats chips for dinner.  Or nothing at all.  And the only vegetables he eats is when he gets green peppers on his pizza.  So, I felt a little guilty, not a lot guilty, because he is a grown man, but he has come dependent on me to make sure he eats healthy.  The problem is we don't like a lot of the same food.  My favourite foods are pastas and soups...which are 2 things he will only eat 'if he has to'.  His favourite vegetables are green peppers, which is one of the few that I don't like.  And I'm mostly vegetarian, while he's a meat lover.  Which means when I cook a bunch of delicious food on Sundays to get me through the week, he's basically left on his own.
So I decided to make something just for him.  With lots of meat, peppers, and spiciness.  I decided to make a slow cooker sausage jambalaya.  I did all the chopping when I got home from work at night, and then in the morning just took the crock pot out of the fridge and plugged it in.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  All he had to do was make some rice when he got home to serve it with.  And I bought pre-cooked sausages to make it with, just so there was one less step.

Sausage Jambalaya

4 cooked sausages
1 medium onion
1 green pepper
1 orange pepper (or red, or yellow...)
2 ribs of celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
Rice to serve it with

Remove casings from sausages and cut into bite-sized pieces.  Finely dice all of the vegetables.  Put all of the ingredients, except the rice, into a slow-cooker and cook on low for 7 hours.  Serve on top of a bed of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!