Monday, October 17, 2011

Risotto Delicioso

Anything that contains wine and cheese just has to be good, and this Squash Risotto is no exception!  I love risotto, and usually just make a delicious lemon and herb one, but since it's fall I thought a Butternut Squash Risotto would taste fantastic.  And it did!  The first time I tried making this it turned out too mushy, so I have made some changes and it worked much better this time.  Now, I'm not gonna lie, risotto is a pain to make.  It's easy, but it involves a lot of stirring.  My arm was cramping up by the end!  But it's soooo worth it!  The important thing to remember when making risotto is to be patient.  When I made risotto for the first time I was so hungry that I started adding more and more liquid at a time, and then it ended up being mushy.  Just add a 1/2 cup at a time and wait for it to absorb before adding more. (I heat my stock by microwaving it in a 4-cup pyrex measuring bowl, then it's easy to see how much to add a time.)  And once it's close to being done, test the rice before adding more liquid, because you might add more than you need and end up with...that's right, mushy risotto.  But don't worry, it will still taste delicious even if it is too soft!




Butternut Squash Risotto

-2 tbsp butter
-1 medium onion, diced
-2 1/2 cups squash, cubed into bite sized pieces (1/2" pieces)
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-3 to 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, simmering
-1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
-1/2 cup white wine
-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Melt butter in a medium sized pot over medium heat, add onion and cook for 2 minutes.  Add squash and cook for another minute.  Stir in garlic and a 1/2 cup of the broth.  Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add rice and stir for 2 minutes.  Add wine, and stir constantly until almost absorbed, about 2-3 minutes.  Add 1/2 cup of the stock, stirring constantly, until absorbed.  Continue adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, until the rice is tender - about 20 minutes. 
Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese and pepper, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!