Monday, October 17, 2011

African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup

I love making soup.  And eating soup.  I try to make a pot of soup each Sunday so I have something homemade and healthy to eat for lunch all week.  I'm lucky in that my hubby doesn't particularly groove on soup, so I don't have to share it with him.  I do sometimes share with my mom-in-law though, since she comes over to let my dog out when she has days off.  But it's still hard to share! 
This soup has quickly become one of my favourites.  I had printed off the recipe years ago from some random website, but just never got around to making it.  I think the long list of ingredients was daunting.  But it's easy to make, as most soups are, and it is a treat to your taste buds!  I actually did share this one, because it makes such a big amount I thought I would bring some in to work.  My co-workers loved it, and all of them asked for the recipe. 



African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger, minced
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
1 can diced tomatoes
1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
4 ½ cups water
1 tsp salt
¼ cup chopped, unsalted peanuts
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 tbsp peanut butter 
1 bunch chopped cilantro

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat.  Sauté the onion for 10 min, until lightly browned.  Mix in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves.  Stir in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot, and continue to cook and stir for about 5 minutes.

Pour water into the saucepan, add salt and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove soup from heat and blend with the peanuts in a food processor until almost smooth.  Season with cayenne pepper.  Return to heat, whisk in peanut butter, and cook until heated through.  Serve topped with cilantro.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!