Monday, September 17, 2012

Soba Noodle Stir Fry

I used to make stir-frys for dinner all the time.  They are fast and easy and can be made so many different ways; they were my go-to meal.  But I would always buy the jarred sauces from the grocery store and after a while I got tired of all of them.  They started to all taste the same to me and I found they over-powered the taste of the vegetables. So I started to stock up on different oils and sauces so I could make my own stir-fry flavourings.  I bought sesame oil, fish sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha hot sauce, etc. and just experimented with them by using other recipes as guidance.  This recipe was inspired by satay dipping sauce and I think it's amazing.  I had a huge bowl for dinner, and then ate it for lunch the next 2 days and I haven't stopped craving it since.  It was my first time cooking with Soba noodles, and I loved the taste of them.  And once all the vegetables were cut it only took 10 minutes to cook everything.  I used the vegetables I like in this dish, but any combination will do.  I do really love the crunch that the water chestnuts add though. 


Soba Noodle Stir Fry

250g Soba Noodles
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh chopped vegetables (broccoli, carrots, peppers)
1 398g can whole baby corn, drained
1 227g can water chestnuts, drained
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup vegetarian Hoisin Sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
Sliced green onions

 

Whisk together the peanut butter, Hoisin sauce, water, and hot sauce.  Set aside.  Cook Soba Noodles according to package directions.  Do not over cook.
Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok over med-high heat.  Add garlic and ginger, stir for 1 minute.  Add the 2 cups of chopped vegetables, stir-fry for 5 minutes.  (If you find the garlic is burning add some water to the pan.)  Mix in the baby corn and water chestnuts, cook for an additional minute or two.  The vegetables should be tender-crisp.  Add the sauce and cooked, drained noodles to the pan.  Mix together and serve with a sprinkling of green onion slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!