Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fresh Mango Spring Rolls

Clockwise: Mango, endive, cilantro, red pepper,
green onion, ginger, jalapeno, carrot, and broccoli
When I was visiting my mom over the summer she made some fresh spring rolls and it was the first time I realized how easy they were to make.  And they were fun to make too.  My mom had a bunch of different vegetables, etc. to put in them and everyone could just make their own.  I think it would be a great way to get kids involved in making dinner, because they could pick whatever they wanted to be in them.  There are so many different combinations to be made.  Pork, chicken, and shrimp are good meat additions, and there are tons of vegetables that would go well in them.
For my first time making them at home I decided on using mango as my flavour base.  I added red and jalapeno peppers for some spice, and ginger because I think it compliments mango nicely.  I used broccoli stems and carrots for some crunch and lots of cilantro because I just love cilantro.  I made these as an appetizer for my General Tao Chicken and I had some leftover that I had for lunch the next day.  They were delicious!


Fresh Mango Spring Rolls

4 sheets of rice paper
1 small Belgium endive, sliced into thin pieces
1/2 cup cilantro
1 broccoli stem, peeled and julienned
1/2 red pepper, julienned
1 jalapeno, julienned
1 tbsp fresh ginger, julienned
3 green onions, sliced
1 small carrot, julienned
1 mango, peeled and cut into strips

Dipping Sauce
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1/4 lime, juiced
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp+ water

Mix together all of the dipping sauce ingredients, adding water until at desired consistency.  Set aside.
Prepare rice papers one at a time.  Fill a large plate with hot water and set one of the dry rice papers in it until it becomes soft and transparent.  Carefully take it out of the water and place on a dry plate.  Put the vegetables in a pile in the middle of the paper.  Fold the 2 outer edges in, then fold the back edge over the vegetables.  Roll it tightly the rest of the way.  Cut in half and serve with the dipping sauce. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!