Monday, April 16, 2012

Hearty Salmon Vegetable Chowder

This chowder just amazes me.  I have been making it for years and will never, ever tire of it.  It's a bowl of pure deliciousness; hearty vegetables and salmon in a creamy broth.  So good.  When I first began making this chowder I would omit the zucchini, because for some odd reason I thought I hated zucchini.  Crazy, now I love it and cook with it all the time!  And I don't always use green pepper, any colour will do, I actually like using red because it stands out more in the soup.  I'm sure other vegetables could be used in this as well, like finely chopped cauliflower, but I love it just the way it is and don't want to mess with a good thing.  
This soup doesn't take long to make cooking-wise, but there is a lot of chopping involved.  I start off by chopping everything except for the zucchini and parsley.  Then once the other vegetables are cooking I chop up those two.  All the chopping is definitely worth it though, because it's a wonderful, filling soup and I can't get enough of it!

 
Hearty Salmon Chowder

1 can salmon, drained and flaked 
1 tbsp butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 large potatoes, cut into small cubes (about 3 cups) 
2 medium carrots, diced
1 cup each of chicken broth and water
1 zucchini, diced
1 14 oz. can of evaporated milk
1 14 oz. can of cream style corn
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
ground black pepper, to taste

In a large pot melt butter over medium heat.  Cook onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring often.  Add the potatoes, carrots, broth, and water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.  
Add the zucchini, stir, and continue simmering for 5 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender.  Add the salmon, evaporated milk, corn, parsley, and pepper.  Cook until heated through and then serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!