Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Spicy Vegan Squash Chili

I'm not usually a fan of vegetarian/vegan chili because they always seem to be full of mushrooms and really liquidy.  I like my chili to be thick and hearty.  I find that the by using squash in this chili it makes up for the lack of meat.  I used 2 cups of acorn squash and 2 cups of buttercup squash. The acorn broke down more while cooking, so it helped thicken the sauce, while the buttercup stayed nice and firm, leaving delicious chunks of squash to eat.  And this chili certainly is spicy!  I added a large dollop of sour cream to mine to cool it down, but then it was no longer vegan, so if you are trying to leave out the dairy perhaps try using a soy sour cream product.  My hubby kept saying how great this smelled while I was cooking it, but when I told him it was Squash Chili he wouldn't try it.  That's OK though, I didn't really want to share.


Squash Chili (Originally from Chatelaine Magazine, don't remember what issue)

28 ounce can diced tomatoes
398 ml can tomato sauce
1 tbsp chili powder (I make my own, recipe here)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp allspice
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups squash, cut into bite sized pieces
2 yellow (or orange, red, green...) peppers, chopped
19 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels (I soaked them in water for a bit to re-plump them)
1 cup chopped cilantro
Sour Cream (optional)

In a large saucepan stir together tomatoes, tomato sauce, spices, and garlic.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Add in the squash, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 30-40 minutes.
Stir in peppers, beans and corn.  Simmer, stirring often, until peppers are soft, about 15 minutes more.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve with a spoonful of sour cream on top, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!