Monday, February 13, 2012

Crepes with Manjar (Chilean Dulce de Leche)

Manjar is the Frank's Red Hot Sauce of Chile: they put that sh*t on everything!  While I was in Chile I picked up a 1 kg container of it to bring back with me.  That's a lot of manjar, and I am having trouble figuring out what to do with it all.  I need to make a Tres Leche cake with a layer of manjar in it, because that would be delicious.  But until I get around to tackling that dessert, I thought some crepes filled with manjar would be amazing.  You can find a lot of recipes to make your own manjar online, or you can just buy some pre-made Dulce de Leche at a grocery store.  From what I've read, manjar is Dulce de Leche, but my Chilean friends insist manjar is better.  I have a sweet tooth in the morning, so I made this for a Saturday breakfast, but it would make a tasty dessert as well.

This recipe made about 8 crepes:

Crepes with Manjar

1 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp melted butter

Mix the flour and eggs together in a large bowl.  Gradually add the milk and water, stir to combine.  Add the salt and butter and beat until smooth.  Heat a frying pan over med-high heat.  Lightly coat the pan with oil.  Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into center of pan, then tilt the pan so that the batter spreads out evenly to make a nice thin crepe.  Cook until bottom is light brown, and then flip and cook other side.  Put pieces of waxed paper in between cooked crepes to prevent them from sticking together while others are being made.
Once all of the crepes are cooked spread a thin amount of manjar on each one and roll up.  Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with fresh fruit.  Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!