Thursday, September 01, 2011

That Chicken is Supreme!

I haven't been doing much cooking lately because I've been canning so much, but more on that later.  I did finally make a good dinner last night though.  I had some garden fresh baby potatoes and yellow beans from the market, and had picked up some chicken breasts to go with it.  I wanted to try something new with the chicken though, so I decided to make chicken schnitzel supreme.  It turned out really well, and I even had some chicken left over which I'm going to add to my pasta for lunch.  I don't have a meat tenderizer, so I just used a regular hammer to flatten the meat.  I like to make do with what I have!  I had bought two boneless, skinless breasts, so to make them thin enough for schnitzel I first had to butterfly them.  I placed the chicken breast on the cutting board with the thick side towards me, and then cut through to the thin side to make two pieces.  Then I put a piece at a time on parchment paper folded over so it covered the top of the chicken as well.  Then it was hammer time!  I just hammered all over until it was all about half an inch thick, then moved on to the next piece.  This is great way to get more for your money, because out of 2 chicken breasts you end up with 4 large pieces which the hubby and I couldn't even finish. 
And now...the recipe:

I topped it off with some sliced mini red and orange peppers, the plate needed some colour!

Chicken Supreme

2 Chicken breasts, butterflied and tenderized
1 egg
1/2 cup of flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
Seasoning (I used dried parsley, rosemary, sage, garlic, and paprika)
Vegetable Oil
Alfredo pasta sauce

Mix the seasonings with the breadcrumbs in a bowl.  Set aside.  Beat the egg in a large bowl.  Make an 'assembly line': sprinkle the flour on a plate, next have the egg bowl, and then use another plate to put 1/4 of the seasoned breadcrumbs at a time.  Take a chicken piece and rinse it with cold water.  Next put it in the flour, making sure both sides are covered.  Dip it in the egg mixture and then put it in the breadcrumbs.  Punch the breadcrumbs into it so they stick well.  Continue with other chicken pieces.  Heat enough vegetable oil in a frying pan so that the bottom is covered.  Fry each piece of chicken for about 4 minutes a side.  Pour warm Alfredo sauce over each piece before serving.  (I used roasted red pepper Alfredo, but you can make/buy any type to use.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!