Monday, September 12, 2011

Pickles and Pears and Beets, Oh My!

I did a lot of canning last week.  A lot.  Right now in my pantry I have 19 half quart jars of bread and butter pickles, 6 quart jars of dill pickles,  2 quart and 2 half quart jars of pickled beets, 7 half quart jars of pears, and 4 quarter quart jars of pear butter.  I could write a Christmas song about them.  It was definitely a lot of work, especially the bread and butter pickles, but looking at those jars gives me such a sense of achievement.  I have already shared the recipe I used for the pears so I thought next I would share how I made my bread and butter pickles.
I went to St. Jacob's Market to buy my pickling cukes and beets.  I bought 21 pounds of cucumbers for $16.  It didn't seem like such a large basket until I got home and tried to fit them in my fridge!  I used 16 pounds of them to make the bread and butter pickles.  Slicing 16 pounds of cucumbers takes a while, I tried to use the slicing adapter thing on my food processor, but it sliced them too thin.  I like my bread and butter pickles to be about 1/4 inch thick.  I also had to chop 4 pounds of onions, but for that I definitely used the food processor.  They still made me cry though!  I had to divide up the pickles, onions, and salt between two bins because I knew I could never fit them all into one pot.  That's one of the reasons it was so much work, because after getting my first batch jarred and starting to process I had to start all over with the next batch.  I'm going to give the recipe for the amount that I made, but it's easy to change it for the amount you want to make.

16 pounds of pickling cucumbers (42 cups sliced)
4 pounds onions (6 cups diced)
1 1/3 cups pickling salt
9 cups vinegar
6 cups sugar
6 tbsp mustard seed
6 tsp ground turmeric
3 tsp ground cloves
ice cubes

Mix the cucumber slices, onion, and salt in a large container.  Cover with ice cubes and place in fridge for 1 1/2 to 3 hours. 
Remove from fridge and rinse in cold water, drain well.
Bring remaining ingredients to a boil, add cucumbers and onions and return to a boil. 
Pack prepared* jars with pickle mixture, leaving 1/2" space at the top.  Wipe rims clean and then place the lids and rings on the jars, be careful not to over tighten the ring. 
Place the jars in a hot water bath, making sure the water covers each jar.  Boil the jars for 10 minutes.  Remove from water and place on a clean tea towel and do not move for 24 hours.  Make sure each lid has sealed, you will hear a popping noise when it seals and the lid will curve inwards.
Store in a cool place for 6 weeks before opening.
*Prepare the jars and rings by boiling them in water for 10 minutes.  The jars still need to be hot when you add pickles to them.  Add hot water to a bowl with the lids in it to soften the seals.
Half of the cucumbers are sliced!
All of the sliced cukes, ready for the salt and onions!


Cooking the cukes in the vinegar mix...first batch.

The finished product!  Yummmmmm!
The Bounty!  Can't wait to start eating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!