Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Clam Chowder

Clam chowder has been one of my favourite soups since I was a kid.  I would love it when I would come in from playing outside on a cold winter day and my mom would have some of this simmering on the stove.  For me it's a very comforting soup.  And it's a quick, easy soup to make.  I like this recipe because it's not a thick chowder, it's more of a broth.  (Ugh, I tried canned clam chowder once and it was so creamy and unappetizing...this chowder is nothing like that!)  I made some of these tea biscuits to go with this yummy chowder, it may just be childhood memories, but I think clam chowder needs tea biscuits on the side!  
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do!


Clam Chowder

3 tbsp butter
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
2 cups of diced potatoes
2 cups water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 can baby clams, with liquid
1 can evaporated milk

Melt butter in a large pot, add onion, carrots, and celery and cook for 3-5 minutes.  Add potatoes, salt and pepper, and water, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.  Add the can of clams with the liquid and the milk.  Heat through and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!